Against a backdrop of rising temperatures and the increasing intensity of extreme weather events, the past few years have made the repercussions of climate change more apparent than ever. Drawing on more than 80 years' expertise, Dalkia has made the campaign to tackle global warming a reality for cities and regions through three key initiatives.
Unlocking energy savings
Dalkia initiated the energy transition in 1937 with the creation of the very first energy performance contract (EPC). Ever since, we have been designing, managing and operating facilities for our customers to help them do more with less. Our remote management centre, the DESC, gathers data from these facilities in real time and combines artificial intelligence with people-powered solutions to ensure optimal energy management.
Dalkia helped its customers unlock energy savings totalling 6.5 TWh in 2017.
Developing local renewable and recovered energy sources to promote a circular economy
Dalkia mainly develops local renewable energy sources through heating and cooling systems as an alternative to fossil fuels, which give off CO2.
Examples include biomass, biogas and geothermal, along with recovered energy sources such as the heat given off by data centres and manufacturing processes. We also harness the power of household waste through our subsidiary Dalkia Waste Energy, always with a view to promoting a circular economy.
- Dalkia prevented 4.1 million tonnes of CO2 emissions in 2017, equivalent to taking more than two million cars off the road.
- Dalkia currently operates more than 350 heating and cooling networks.
- Dalkia is targeting an energy mix comprising a 50% share of renewable and recovered energy sources by 2022.
Enhancing sustainable well-being
All of Dalkia's energy performance initiatives are designed to improve the long-term well-being of building occupants. We invest in smart cities, smart buildings and Industry 4.0 to create a living environment conducive to improved health and well-being. We combine new technologies (IoT) with in-house expertise to optimise energy resources and create new household services while promoting eco-friendly energy management and greener practices.
Our different energy efficiency solutions and our drive to create cleaner installations, such as heating networks, also help prevent fuel poverty by reducing household energy bills.
- Dalkia supplied heating to the equivalent of more than two million households in 2017.
- In 2017, Dalkia operated more than 3,000 healthcare facilities.
- In 2017, Dalkia managed more than 17,500 tertiary and commercial facilities.
- In 2017, Dalkia worked with more than 2,000 industrial sites.